3280 - Group Assignments
Answer the following
questions after you read the Costco case in your e-book. I expect you to submit
only one case report per group.
1) What are the
main elements of Costco’s strategy?
2) What core values or business principles is Jim Sinegal stressing at Costco?
3) Does Costco pay its employees too much? Does it make sense for Costco to
compensate its employees so much better than the employees at Wal-Mart/ Sam’s
Club? Why or why not?
4) What recommendations would you make to Jim Sinegal regarding the actions
that Costco management needs to take to sustain the company’s growth
and improve its financial performance?
Read Case 2:
competition in the movie rental industry and answer the following questions
1) What 2-3 top
priority issues does Blockbuster management need to address?
2) How strong are the competitive forces in the movie rental marketplace?
Do a five-forces analysis to support your answer.
3) What recommendations would you make to Blockbuster CEO James Keyes?
4) What recommendations would you make to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings?
Read Case 3:
Google's Strategy in 2008 and answer the following questions :
1) How is the search
industry changing? What forces seem most likely to bring about major change
to the industry within the next three to five years?
Have Google’s business model and strategy proven to be successful? Should
investors be impressed with the company’s financial performance? How
does the company’s financial performance compare to that of Microsoft
What are the company’s key resource strengths and competitive capabilities?
What competitive liabilities and resource weaknesses does it have? What opportunities
exist? What threats to its continued success are present?
What recommendations would you make to Google’s top-management team
to sustain its competitive advantage in the search industry?
Case 4:PepsiCo Diversification in 2008 and answer the following questions:
1- What is PepsiCo’s corporate strategy? Briefly identify the business
strategies that PepsiCo is using in each of its consumer business segments
2- Does PepsiCo’s portfolio exhibit good strategic fit? What value-chain
match-ups do you see? What opportunities for skills transfer, cost sharing,
or brand sharing do you see?
3- What strategic actions should Indra Nooyi take to sustain the corporation’s
impressive financial and market performance?
Your final Assignmnet---Group
1. Does Apple’s strategy for its iPod business seem
capable of allowing the company to remain on top of the digital music player
industry over the next 5 years?
2. Is Apple’s strategy in its computer business strong
enough to compete successfully against Dell and HP?
3. What is your assessment of Apple Computer’s financial
performance the past three years? (Use financial ratios analysis for the past
4. What steps should Apple take to improve its corporate performance
and to strengthen its position in its most important markets?