You are invited to participate in a research study on work stress and well-being. The current study is part of an ongoing research program led by Dr. Janaki Gooty (link to UNC Charlotte bio).
Here are some reasons to enroll in the Stress in the Workplace study:
- You will receive up to $50 in gift cards. Choose gift cards from a variety of your favorite retailers, including Amazon, Target, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Old Navy, AMC Theatres, Walmart, etc.
- You will receive a free month of yoga at a popular yoga studio that offers free child care (regularly valued at $100)!
- You will contribute to scientific research on understanding how to reduce stress in the workplace and improve overall quality of life.
Who can participate?
You qualify for this study if you:
- Live in the Charlotte, NC area;
- are over the age of 18;
- are employed full-time; and
- have not consistently practiced yoga at least 2-3 times a week in the last six months.
What are the participation requirements?
The study has two phases. Please sign up only if you can commit to the timelines detailed below.
- Phase 1 begins August 1st and ends August 31st. During this phase, you will complete one “baseline” survey (lasting about 10 minutes) and 4 weekly surveys (each lasting about 5 minutes). Completion of all 5 surveys triggers your first gift card of $10 and enrollment in free yoga for a month!
- Phase 2 begins September 1st and ends September 30th. During this phase, we require that you attend a minimum of 2 free yoga classes each week (Monday-Sunday) and complete a brief 5 minute survey the following week. Completion of each weekly survey and at least 2 yoga classes per week triggers an additional $10 gift card per week. This provides each participant with the opportunity to earn up to $40 in gift cards in Phase 2 alone!
Where will the study take place?
All surveys will be conducted online. These surveys could be completed at your convenience each week during a 48-hour window either via computers, tablets or handheld devices.
All yoga classes in Phase 2 will be held at the Y2 Yoga Studio at 274 S Sharon Amity Rd, Cotswold Shopping Center. You are free to choose any of the classes the studio offers from 6am until 9.30 pm each day per your convenience. More information about Y2 is below in the FAQs.
What types of information will be collected?
You will be asked to provide your name, email, and date of birth, which will only be used to match your surveys across the four time periods and send surveys to you. We will provide your name and email to Y2 Yoga at the beginning of the study to enable free yoga enrollment. All identifying information regarding your participation will be kept confidential to the fullest extent possible and is available only to the research team. You are free to withdraw your consent and to discontinue participation at any time.
Ready to begin?
Please click the link below to enroll in the study – This initial “baseline” survey will take about 10 minutes to complete.
Or, copy and paste the following into your browser: http://belkcollege.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eqXrStzthlZfXp3
More Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who should I contact if I have questions?
Dr. Janaki Gooty, Associate Professor at UNC Charlotte’s Belk College of Business, is conducting this study. For questions or comments please email/call her at the contact information listed here: http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/directory/janaki-gooty.
2. What is yoga?
Yoga does not have any religious affiliation; it is an intense exercise for both body and mind that can increase your strength, flexibility and cardiovascular health. Yoga is a series of intense physical postures practiced while matching breath to movement. You do not need to be flexible or have any previous experience to practice yoga.
3. Where is Y2 Yoga?
Y2 Yoga (http://y2yoga.com/) offers over 85 classes per week from 6 am until 9:30 pm, and is open 365 days a year regardless of holidays or weather, making it easy to fit into a busy work schedule. Y2 Yoga also offers spa and café amenities, and free access to locker rooms, towels and showers.